Re: [ga] .et wildcarded

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .et wildcarded
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:51:47 -0500

George Kirikos wrote:

Hello,

--- Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18-Nov-07, at 9:17 PM, Joe Baptista wrote:
Wildcards in fact are a good thing from the dns perspective. They reduce overall traffic to the zone.
That's ridiculous.

Who says reducing traffic to the zone is a good thing?

Alt-roots must represent perfection by that standard, as they get zero
traffic. ;)
I don't think you understand whats happeningin the big wide world. alt-roots do not get zero traffic. Today there are 50 million people in china alone using the china MII root system. Then we have the arabic domain consortium, i-dns, and of course the HEX experiment in europe I participated in. These roots end up generating alot of error traffic to other roots. Just look at what the error rate was at the root servers back in 2003.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/05/dud_queries_swamp_us_internet/

a good portoin of the error traffic was due to alt roots. and back then they were a small footprint. Today that traffic has increased exponetially at the root servers. Which explain probably why we don't have any root analysis since I broke the story years ago.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551