Re: [ga] .et wildcarded

  • To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .et wildcarded
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 03:44:26 +0100

At 02:11 20/11/2007, Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:
Hi JFC,
Billions of dollars have been collectively spent by businesses to promote their current domain names. What makes you think that any significant number of these businesses would abandon their past efforts and switch to an unproven alternative?

I do not think they would. I do not think this would be any unproven altenative. It is just that it would permit a generalisation of the DNS (which does not need root servers, only a common real or virtual TLD forest compilation [actually lack of conflicts]). Everything we have today is just fine except scarcity organised by ICANN for the best of its pet registrar industry no one need. The naming industry would only switch from registars to registries, with the same probable divesity of size, and many more TLDs. The financial trade-off would be the cost of running your own TLD against using IDNs from another TLD. I would not expect the IDN value to change much. But I would expect more services to the registrant and a redefinition of the UDRP rules.

Instead of a competition on price by Registrars, we probably have a competition on quality and trust by Registries. ICANN would only become a TLDA equivalent and competitor.
jfc

Sincerely,
Ted
Prophet Partners Inc.