Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet

  • To: ga DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet
  • From: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:14:19 -0500

On Oct 11, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Ram Mohan wrote:

Would it be useful for them if "normal" latin names could be translated into a punycode-like representation in THEIR native script? So ebay.com would translate to something like 試測-試測試測 試. 試測 for Chinese people to be able todescribe without resorting to ASCII?

+ I can imagine this to be a reality someday - say if ".com" was represented in Traditional (or Simplified) Chinese, and through some policy, contractual or other mapping mechanism, the domain <ebay.com> is also accessible through <試測-試測試測試. 試測 > [disclaimer: I have no idea what these characters mean]. + Things will not only get interesting, but also would plausibly become messy for the hapless end-user if the "translated" name is registered to another registrant or registry, and resolves to a completely different spot.

Which is why a special prefix would be assigned and made illegal for other uses, much like xn-- has become.