Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet

  • To: ga DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] On Its Way: One of the Biggest Changes to the Internet
  • From: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:17:40 -0500

On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

I am far from an expert but I inserted my understandings below.

Chuck Gomes

(2) If the current WHOIS system only accomodates ASCII, will
the WHOIS properly function in an IDN environment?

It depends what you mean by 'properly function'. Will they show both the
Punycode name and its IDN equivalent?  I think that is unlikely,
especially at first, but registries and registrars could provide
conversion tools. I am not up to speed on this, but some could already
do that.

.jp WHOIS outputs UNICODE now.

If you use a terminal set to understand UNICODE, it works fine.

Chuck, any chance of a response from Verisign regarding my earlier question about ICANN using simplified and traditional variants as test TLD's while Verisign blocks variants in com/net?

Cheers,