RE: [ga] GA in the post GNSO-Review world

  • To: <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] GA in the post GNSO-Review world
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:07:48 +0100

Danny wrote:

>>I have always thought of the GA as having the potential to serve as a
catch-all constituency to serve the needs of the unrepresented within the
GNSO.
What is your view?  Would this be a good way forward?

I think the GA should be frequented by ALL and representative of ALL who
have an interest in all/any ICANN policies.  It should be the place where we
come together; business, registrars, resellers, registrants, government etc.

Whilst all the different factions have their own little groups that are
feeding into the process (I am not decrying this at all) I feel that it
would be good for these separate factions to frequent a general place of
discussion wrt the various issues/policies in order to better see other
points of view; perhaps this is a grass roots approach.  This is, in my
view, what the GA is all about; or at least should be.  The GA is the common
ground.  By forming various GA Policy WGs to put forward a GA consensus (as
well as opposing opinion when agreement cannot be found) the GA could be
more useful to both stakeholders and the policy makers at ICANN; who
currently have to wade through separate documents from all the different
factions, and individuals, who have perhaps not considered anything other
than their own individual/group needs.  The GA should reflect the needs and
opinions of all and should be informative to all.

The GA should be a place where anyone can come and view the goings on and
not be afraid to participate or ask questions.  A modicum of decorum is
required to facilitate this.

I think there should be more than one representative of the GA, possibly
area representatives, and that these representatives should be funded to
attend ICANN and related meetings and accorded the same voting rights as
other groups.

Just a few humble thoughts at 2am in the morning! Am I being Naive here? :-)

Best regards

Debbie