Re: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 01:33:07 -0700

sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

One of the oft-repeated arguments against the idea of an Individual
Registrant's Constituency has always been the 'issue' of identification
and verification of legitimate individuals... how many times did we hear
that argument in the past as a reason for not even considering an IRC. Yet, on the basis of SEVEN unverified votes...

You touch on a question that I've always wondered about:

For all of ICANN's "stakeholder" bodies, not one person is required to show that they actually are a "stakeholder".

For example, a person who claims stakeholder role as a registry is never required to produce a written delegation from the officers of the registry attesting that that person is, in fact, a properly accredited representative of that registry.

Yet individuals have been rejected, ejected, neglected, and made dejected because ICANN requires each and every one to produce a credential, else there can be no election and no representation.

Seems that in the land of ICANN what is good for the industrial goose is not good enough for the individual gander.

(As for Eric D. - I am expressing no opinion.)

                --karl--