RE: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 06:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What powers will accrue to the GNSO Registry list?
> Will it have it's own representative structure with
> officers, working groups, and the ability to veto
> decisions of the Council?  Will Consensus Policy
> Decisions require ratification by the GNSO Registry
> membership?  Will it be funded and supported by the
> ICANN Staff policy department?  Will its officers have
> their travel funds paid for by ICANN so that the views
> of the body may be properly put forward?  Or will it
> be nothing more than a discussion list to accomodate
> non-constituency members while only specific
> "stakeholders" enjoy the right to vote on policy
> matters?

Oh, this is all too precious. Talk about "real objectives" --- "will
its officers have their travel funds paid for by ICANN"? LOL

Are you still harping on the fact that ICANN denied you funding??

"Thank you for formally notifying me that ICANN will continue its
exclusionary funding policy."

Maybe you should spend more time not looking for a free handout. ICANN
is not supposed to be a free world travel club. :) The amount spent on
travel could be invested in Webex.com (or other) software to allow for
remote participation. Domain Roundtable had full video and chat over
the internet for their event last month, and at times had 800+ people
participating remotely. Remote participation wouldn't let you waltz
with Chuck Gomes or Tina Dam or dine at VeriSign-sponsored parties, but
most people could survive without those perks, and still get real work
and participation done.

Danny is a member of the non-commercial constituency. He can get
elected to an executive position there, if he wants travel funding paid
for by his constituency.

As for the "GA List", I notice some deluded folks are still clinging to
this idea that it somehow meets the standard of the dictionary
definition of a "general assembly" and has powers, etc.

Let's kill that idea immediately by renaming this list to the "Public
Discussion Mailing List" (PDML). Even the laziest journalist could then
not mistake it for the GNSO Council, and quote its troll/kook members
as representing anything more than it really is to ICANN.

Concrete suggestion here -- I expect the only opposition to renaming
come from the "ICANN is my ticket to travel the world for free" club.

Roberto: Would you support renaming this list to the PDML to eliminate
confusion?

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/