RE: [ga] Election of Chair

  • To: Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>, GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Election of Chair
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:18:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dominik,

  I am flagging and holding your message to read again and again. There are
principles here to guide us and ones that will help me stay the course as chair
or not. On this list it is important to take the hand we are dealt and
contribute accordingly. It is becoming crucial that good people take on roles
that put them a bit out or their comfort zone and into the contributory fray.

  Dominik one of the most important balancing acts we must perform is the past
conflicts.  We must take what we have learned in the past and apply it without
the past animosities. Enough memory to avoid pitfalls and enough forgetfulness
to work with others for a different ICANN, without polarization between
factions. This is reason enough to be quite vigilante on our rules.

  It is well that we put effort into the GA.

  Eric

Dominik Filipp <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Eric,

back from holiday I am just looking through a pile of unread posts to
get the picture. I'm sorry about not having participated more in the
past due to my business engagement, but that's how it goes sometimes.
I have also noticed some unpleasant moments within the GA list and
therefore I second to your motion to get back to deliberations and
discussing real issues as we used to deal with before. It is important
to calm down the discomfort within the GA and to get a breath of fresh
air in the shape of doing a reasonable work on issues.

As for the participation on outside lists, well, it might seem to have
proven to be an error at first glance but on the other hand it also
indicates a more subtle problem worth of noticing. It seems to be more
meaningful to send merit contributions to a specific list focused solely
on a given issue where I can expect reasonable response or discussion,
not burdened with somewhat gloomy atmosphere here in the GA where a
merit response can hardly be expected. I, nevertheless, believe this is
just a temporary problem that will gradually fade out.
But there is also another point here, maybe even more important than the
previous one. The outside lists are well organized and everyone can get
quickly oriented what to do and where to go. If I want to participate I
just simply scan the list of open issues, find one I am interested in
and start sending posts to the respective work group/email address.
Simple, straight and clear. I don't know what is the actual status of
our WGs but to get further with the progress we could get inspired by
this.
I guess the simple plain GA list is advantageous in that all
issues/topics are clearly visible as a whole. That is why I personally
prefer this structure to various WGs scattered elsewhere, which requires
remembering adresses, somewhat ponderous navigation to them, etc. To
take maximum from the ICANN's specific list structure I would instead
fix the subject naming structure helping clearly describe and navigate
to issues of interest. This would allow for possibility to filter
incoming mails into specific private mail subfolders alongside of
keeping the overall picture of all what is happening on the list. This
could also increase the operability and unification of resulting
outputs.

Last but not least, I am happy you have gladly accepted the nomination
for the upcoming Chair position election and I can't but agree with
Debbie's words about your outstanding work you have done so far for the
GA, particularly, your tremendous and unflagging effort to keep the
crumbling GA list together and to make it work more effectively.

Thanks

Dominik