[council] FW: Update from the GNSO Council

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] FW: Update from the GNSO Council
  • From: "Jonathan Robinson" <jrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:27:30 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

FYI.

Jonathan

From: Jonathan Robinson [mailto:jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 June 2014 19:45
To: Heather Dryden (Dryden.Heather@xxxxxxxx)
Cc: Marika Konings (marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx); olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Update from the GNSO Council

Heather Dryden

Chair, ICANN GAC

Dear Heather & ICANN GAC Colleagues,

Following up on the session between the GAC and the GNSO, I would like to
briefly outline both the current status as well as the next steps with
respect to the IGO/INGO and RCRC issues.

1.       As you are aware, the GNSO Council has received a letter from the
NGPC (16 June, 2014) suggesting that an indefinite claims service to provide
notice to the organization in question is offered, for the designations in
question, whenever such designation has been registered. Currently, the GNSO
policy recommendations provide for a 90 days claims service.

The GNSO Council will continue its discussion on this subject during our
public meeting on Wednesday. A prospective course of action will be to
reconvene the relevant PDP WG to consider this very question and to report
back to the GNSO Council in due course. We would like to stress that this
process is consistent with the GNSO bylaws and we do not believe it will be
unduly lengthy. This will not be a new PDP.

2.       The second suggestion is to modify certain aspects of the URS to
enable its use by IGOs and to develop the rules and procedures for an
arbitration process to resolve claims of the abuse of IGO names and
acronyms. We note that this work is already under way with a PDP that was
initiated by the GNSO Council at its last meeting on June 5th, 2014.

Therefore, no action is required with respect to potential modifications of
GNSO Council policy recommendations as the aspect of working on potential
modifications of curative rights protection mechanisms was already included
in the set of recommendations the GNSO Council unanimously adopted last
year. While the work on this PDP is conducted, the temporary protections
remain in place, as the NGPC confirmed.

We welcome an open communication on these matters.

Yours sincerely,

Jonathan

Jonathan Robinson

Chair