FW: [council] FW: Update from the GNSO Council
- To: "'GNSO Council List'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: FW: [council] FW: Update from the GNSO Council
- From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 09:27:15 -0700
- Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
- Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: Ac+PxVZL6+xUeH0bSreYoGbj3oB63QAkksKAAmoZGyA=
- Thread-topic: [council] FW: Update from the GNSO Council
The letter has been posted on page
and can be directly viewed at:
The GAC Secretariat has been notified of that the letter has been posted.
From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jonathan Robinson
Sent: mercredi 25 juin 2014 11:28
Subject: [council] FW: Update from the GNSO Council
From: Jonathan Robinson [mailto:jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 June 2014 19:45
To: Heather Dryden (Dryden.Heather@xxxxxxxx<mailto:Dryden.Heather@xxxxxxxx>)
Cc: Marika Konings (marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>);
Subject: Update from the GNSO Council
Chair, ICANN GAC
Dear Heather & ICANN GAC Colleagues,
Following up on the session between the GAC and the GNSO, I would like to
briefly outline both the current status as well as the next steps with respect
to the IGO/INGO and RCRC issues.
1. As you are aware, the GNSO Council has received a letter from the NGPC
(16 June, 2014) suggesting that an indefinite claims service to provide notice
to the organization in question is offered, for the designations in question,
whenever such designation has been registered. Currently, the GNSO policy
recommendations provide for a 90 days claims service.
The GNSO Council will continue its discussion on this subject during our public
meeting on Wednesday. A prospective course of action will be to reconvene the
relevant PDP WG to consider this very question and to report back to the GNSO
Council in due course. We would like to stress that this process is consistent
with the GNSO bylaws and we do not believe it will be unduly lengthy. This will
not be a new PDP.
2. The second suggestion is to modify certain aspects of the URS to enable
its use by IGOs and to develop the rules and procedures for an arbitration
process to resolve claims of the abuse of IGO names and acronyms. We note that
this work is already under way with a PDP that was initiated by the GNSO
Council at its last meeting on June 5th, 2014.
Therefore, no action is required with respect to potential modifications of
GNSO Council policy recommendations as the aspect of working on potential
modifications of curative rights protection mechanisms was already included in
the set of recommendations the GNSO Council unanimously adopted last year.
While the work on this PDP is conducted, the temporary protections remain in
place, as the NGPC confirmed.
We welcome an open communication on these matters.
ICANN GNSO Council