Re: [council] Draft message to the Board

HI S

>  So far, if my count is correct (and once again please put me straight if
> it's not), we have support for the statement from Council reps of the IPC,
> the ISP, the BC, the RySG and the RrSG. So if the NCUC opposes (is that the
> case?)

I didn't say we oppose yet, but rather that in reviewing it to come to a
position we would like to understand the thinking as to why this is necessary,
given Olivier's already included a disclaimer on exactly the same points.  If
we're adding distinctive value by repeating the case, what exactly is it?

> we could send a statement saying the NCUC opposes, and that there is Rough
> Consensus on the Council for this statement.
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

Neither would strike me as being particularly accurate at this time.  We want
to understand the purpose of the letter and don't see the need to rush this off
before we're able to consult internally.  Moreover, Olga has also expressed
concerns about rushing and asked whether a vote isn't needed.  So if you have
perhaps 5 out of 20 voting members (maybe more, we've not heard from other
NCSGer) who are not yet prepared to send such a letter, that doesn't quite meet
a healthy threshold for declaring "rough consensus" based on "the sense of the
group."

> On your comments to the current draft, I understand the dates discrepancy you
> highlight. It does pose a problem however, as the date I had put in the draft
> was the one on which the JAS sent us the report. As you correctly point out,
> ALAC sent it on May 6, while we only got it on May 9. That in itself is a
> problem, as it begs the question as to why one chartering entity got the
> report before the other did. As Jeff stated, this looks a lot like the
> situation we've just had with the ccNSO and the JIG. So trying to learn from
> our mistakes here, I had not wanted to get into that with our Board
> statement, but if you think we should, we can…

Could avoid the issue by not referencing dates at all…?  What matters is
neither side's had time yet read and approve it, as Olivier indicated.

Cheers,

Bill

PS; In the meanwhile I see Rafik has submitted a motion...