Re: [council] Draft message to the Board

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Draft message to the Board
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 09:16:47 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello

On May 11, 2011, at 12:25 AM, Adrian Kinderis wrote:

> We have to rush because I assume the Board is reviewing the report having
> been sent it directly from the WG.

Not true

> It is important that they understand the report has not been reviewed not
> approved by the Council.
>
> These are facts. Why can’t they be stated?

Haven't they been already, more or less?  Olivier's cover texts says

This Report is submitted [BY ALAC] for consideration to the ICANN Board and
ICANN community. It was received by the At‐Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) and
the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) on 6 May 2011 and is currently
undergoing evaluation. Comments from the At‐ Large Community are currently
being gathered until 13 May 2011 and will be transmitted to the Board in a
separate document. ALAC ratification will follow.
Note that GNSO approval of this document is independent and has not reached
approval stage.

Whereas Stephane's proposed note says

On May 10, the Board was sent the Joint SO/AC New gTLD Applicant Support
Working Group ( JAS WG)'s Second Milestone Report by ALAC. We understand that
this report has not yet been approved by ALAC.

The GNSO Council wishes to highlight the fact that it has not approved this
report yet either. In fact, the Council has only just received it. The report
was sent to us by the co-chairs of the JAS working group on May 9, 2011.

Aside from the discrepancy on the receipt date, the letter seems redundant with
what they've already been told.  So what exactly is the point of repeating it:
to double check that board are able to correctly read plain English, or rather
to implicitly flag the general disposition of some councilors toward the work
of the group we chartered, and toward CWGs more generally?

NCUC at least would like to understand what we'd be doing here and why so that
we can consult and reach a position per normal procedures.  As is, there's no
consensus to send this text now.

Thanks,

Bil;