RE: [council] Fwd: suggested topics for joint ccNSO/GNSO Council meeting tomorrow

NTIA IANA function questions to be based on original request of NTIA, I
propose to air topics and have two comments: ccNSO/gNSO per each.

    1. The IANA functions have been viewed historically as a set of

interdependent technical functions and accordingly performed together

by a single entity. In light of technology changes and market

developments, should the IANA functions continue to be treated as

interdependent? For example, does the coordination of the assignment of

technical protocol parameters need to be done by the same entity that

administers certain responsibilities associated with root zone

management? Please provide specific information to support why or why

not, taking into account security and stability issues.

    2. The performance of the IANA functions often relies upon the

policies and procedures developed by a variety of entities within the

Internet technical community such as the IETF, the RIRs and ccTLD

operators. Should the IANA functions contract include references to

these entities, the policies they develop and instructions that the

contractor follow the policies? Please provide specific information as

to why or why not. If yes, please provide language you believe

accurately captures these relationships.

    3. Cognizant of concerns previously raised by some governments and

ccTLD operators and the need to ensure the stability of and security of

the DNS, are there changes that could be made to how root zone

management requests for ccTLDs are processed? Please provide specific

information as to why or why not. If yes, please provide specific

suggestions.

    4. Broad performance metrics and reporting are currently required

under the contract. Are the current metrics and reporting

requirements sufficient? Please provide specific information as to why

or why not. If not, what specific changes should be made?

    5. Can process improvements or performance enhancements be made to

the IANA functions contract to better reflect the needs of users of the

IANA functions to improve the overall customer experience? Should

mechanisms be employed to provide formalized user input and/or

feedback, outreach and coordination with the users of the IANA

functions? Is additional information related to the performance and

administration of the IANA functions needed in the interest of more

transparency? Please provide specific information as to why or why not.

If yes, please provide specific suggestions.

    6. Should additional security considerations and/or enhancements be

factored into requirements for the performance of the IANA functions?

Please provide specific information as to why or why not. If additional

security considerations should be included, please provide specific

suggestions.