RE: [council] GNSO Council meet and greet?

I think Bill gets it!

Nice work and thanks.

Adrian Kinderis

From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of William Drake
Sent: Friday, 18 September 2009 1:39 AM
To: Philip Sheppard
Cc: 'GNSO Council'
Subject: Re: [council] GNSO Council meet and greet?

Hi Philip

On Sep 17, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Philip Sheppard wrote:

Council should bear in mind that there is sometimes an inherent conflict
between transparency and freedom to dialogue.

For an individual, or small business there is likely to be no such conflict.
For an employee of a publicly quoted company or other organisation of
reputation, there is a high likelihood of this conflict.

In some situations, not others.

Typically an employee of such a company in the knowledge their comments may be
publically archived in oral or written form will be constrained in what they
are able to say by internal guidelines or practise. These guidelines will
typically be established to protect the corporation from legal suit, to protect
reputation or to protect the share price.
Given the choice of continual checking with in-house legal counsel and silence,
they may choose silence.

Legal suit?  Share prices?  What sort of complaint session do you have in mind
here?  Adrian described it as people saying stuff like