RE: [council] Council meeting today

  • To: "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Council meeting today
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:49:56 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will be on the call, barring any unanticipated client emergency.

I am also very puzzled by the possibility of a vote on a document that is out
for public comment.  (Stéphane, it looks pretty official to me:
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-30jun09-en.htm).  I've made
clear in the past my concern that the GNSO Council (and ICANN more generally)
has no good process for incorporating and acting on submissions made during
public comments.  I still have those general concerns.  Having a vote on the
by-laws while they are out for public comment sends, in my view, a very clear
message to the community that public comment is not relevant to GNSO Council
Action and, in fact, is so irrelevant that the Council will go ahead and act
during the comment period itself.  That's not a message that I am willing to
send and not one that the Council as a whole should be sending.

Given that we are in the middle of the comment period, I recommend that we
defer a vote until after the public comment period closes so that we have an
opportunity to read and act upon those comments (and, hopefully, have a
complete document by that time, too).  If the vote will proceed today, I will
abstain.