[council] Updated statement of interest

  • To: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Updated statement of interest
  • From: Cary Karp <ck@nic.museum>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:27:53 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My statement of interest is as follows:

I am Director of Internet Strategy and Technology at the Swedish Museum
of Natural History (NRM), an agency of the Swedish government. This is a
full-time salaried position.

I serve in a similar capacity for the International Council of Museums
(ICOM) of which I am an individual member and NRM is an institutional
member. I receive a small additional honorarium for that activity.

I hold a non-remunerated position as the President and CEO of the Museum
Domain Management Association (MuseDoma), the Sponsoring Organization
for the .museum TLD.

NRM is the largest museum in Sweden and charged with advising private
and corporate entities in that country in matters relating to its sphere
of expertise. I am regularly involved in such action. Current activity
includes a joint collaborative initiative with NIC-SE, the operator of
the .se ccTLD, in the development of IDN support for the legally
recognized minority languages of Sweden. I also advise NIC-SE in general
matters relating to IDN, as well as the Swedish National representative
to ICANN's Governmental Advisory Committee.

As an agency of a Member State of the European Union, NRM provides
support to other such agencies and corporate entities in the EU. In this
regard, I serve in an advisory capacity to EURid, the operator of
the .eu ccTLD, in the development of their support for IDN.

I may from time to time receive separate honoraria for advisory services
provided as a result of my position at NRM, and may be similarly
compensated for writing and speaking engagements.

ICOM is an NGO maintaining formal relations with UNESCO and having
consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
I am directly involved in activity conducted by ICOM in its relationship
with UNESCO. I represent MuseDoma in the gTLD Registry Constituency and
am the elected representative for the sTLDs on the GNSO Council. Certain
aspects of the support that I directly provide to ICANN's own IDN
activities are specified in a contract between NRM and ICANN. I conduct
no other activity with, and have no other interests of any kind, that
involve entities maintaining business or contractual relationships with
ICANN.

Cary Karp