RE: [registrars] Nomination of Jay Westerdal for RC Treasurer

  • To: "elliot noss" <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Nomination of Jay Westerdal for RC Treasurer
  • From: "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:37:38 -0800
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Elliot,
All of us generate revenue from our accreditation in different ways.
We all have different business models.

Name Intelligence got accredited due to Afilias's whois system.
Afilias explained to us that they have no relationship with our
company and that we were outside of the scope of their company
contract with ICANN. Even though they like our stats they can
not pick and choose who to help or allow us selected access to
a thin whois with only registrar of record. They can't even
release stats themselves, that is why our company feels it is
important to collect these stats. The contract they have with
ICANN has several hundred pages and didn't allow them to pick and
choose who they enforced whois query limits on. The one field we
needed from Afilias was the Registrar of record for the domain.
Registries with thin whois have no problem giving this information
out, but companies with thick whois have more fields to protect
and stronger and longer contracts with ICANN. With EPP access it
allows us a thinner view and tells us who the Registrar is. Our
Name Suggestion technology and Registrar Stats require access to
find out the status of the domain and who the registrar is.

ICANN doesn't have a system for companies that don't fit inside the
box. So instead of waiting for ICANN to define more boxes we decided
to jump inside the box; the ICANN box that best fit us was the
Registrar box since that gave us access so that we could continue to
report statistics on .INFO and .ORG (run by Afilias) TLDs.

I see no conflict with the issue of threads, and I think if you
want to make it an issue. That to be fair we should ask any question
to all applicants of any position in the RC not just one. Many
registrar also generates revenue in other ways from its threads.
Many do. For example, at whois-search.com/deleting/who.php
it shows that BulkRegister (Donna) sell/rent threads to SnapNames.

Yes, Name Intelligence has made the decision to outsource its threads.
Sorry for the long answer to a simple question but I hope I answered
your question and maybe some of the thoughts behind your question. :)

Best Regards,

Jay Westerdal
Name Intelligence, Inc.
http://www.nameintelligence.com/