Re: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list

  • To: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joop,

  Quite a lofty goal at that. Something tells me I re/wrote that.
  How about attempt to ascertain. Even attempting around here is difficult, and clearly not everything is votable. (I think Jonothon Nevett is about to find that out in the whois)

  Your comment vis a vie the IDN is a good wake up call. Remember this is not in the "thou shall" section. Also if we are to attempt to represent or promote something we should try to figure out what it is.

  My hope, someday, would be to put in a voting mechanism readily available on the list.

  Best of days to you.

Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 05:43 a.m. 26/07/2007, Debbie Garside wrote:
> Hi Danny
>
>I know we haven't adopted them yet but the draft Rules for Participation
>state the following:
>
>----
>
>The primary objectives of the General Assembly mailing list are as follows:
>
>- to ascertain and represent the consensual views of the ordinary citizen as
>a collective as pertaining to the business of the GNSO and ICANN
>
>----

Good thing that this Korean issue comes up now to throw the proposed new
mission statement of the GA in the spotlight.
Frankly, I'm a bit worried about any mechanism that purports "to ascertain
and represent the consensual views of the ordinary citizen as
a collective" if it isn't based on voting and counting.

Or was that what you meant, Debbie?

-joop-

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.