Re: [ga] List Rules

  • To: GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] List Rules
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 23:03:21 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all,

  Ok.  Well they are way out of date, they were never agreed to
by the majority at the time, and as you rightly point out they are
an affront to free speech.  I would argue they have little to do
with order of any sort other than to negate discussion and
lively debate.  As such they by in large represent a form of
Censorship known as Selective Censorship, which is one of
the ugliest forms of Censorship.  Censorship in ANY form is
wrong.

  If the GA were a court of law, as school or educational
Institute some forms or speech could be restricted.  As it
is, the GA is no longer even an official part of ICANN, and
even if it were limiting expression does not meet the bar for
such restrictions.

However I can understand the many different motivations of
different individuals to desire to do so.  Most of them are rooted
< no pun intended > in personality disputes who's intent is to silence
any objections another has raised and in what manner they have
raised said objections.

  And by the way, if you are in agreement with these old and
illegitimate set of list rules, why did you ask me to draft some
new ones and why did you also draft some yourself, Dr. Dierker?

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Please be ready to debate these;
> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2000.GA-ga-rules.html
>
>   I am of the mind to keep them en Toto. OTOH I am of the mind to keep
> them until formally amended to some degree.
>
>   We must recognize that there is an inherent battle between free
> speech and order.
>
>   We need these to be worked on and supported broadly to give us
> credibility.
>
>   Chair

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827