Re: [ga] IDN evaluation by ICANN (Was: Sponsorship of IGF Workshops

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

In the (unlikely) case that some people read Baptista's messages, I
want to emphasize that I do not find any ICANN text mentioning "listing
IDN TLDs as A RRs" (which would be a strange idea, indeed).

The current plan is here:

http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-19jun07.htm

Stephane - your right. I'm sorry about that. I was wrong. The URL we should also refer to is the plan itself.

http://www.icann.org/topics/idn/idn-evaluation-plan-v2%209.pdf

A-labels ~ A-RRs + Speed reading ^ old age is my only excuse. Thank God your there to hold my hand during these trying years.

If thats the case, then this experiment is a bot of nonsense. Its well know any zone can carry up to 70 million zone records So i'm a bit purplexed as to why they consider this some lofty experiment. It is not that. The inclusive name space under the TLDA carrys some 10,000 zone records. Increasing the zone is not going to do any harm. The chinese have already proven that IDNs work - so have the arabs who run their own version of the ICANN root. And their are a number of experiments in other portions of namespace doing much of the same.

The warning language in the text is a bit bogus. I wonder how much money icann is spending on this effort. Which we in the inclusive name space have already proven viable. It amazes me the amount of resources dedicated to this nonsense.

I support this experiment. Question is - who will they be listing. The chinese? The arabs? i-DNS.net? If were talking NS-RRs then this little experiment is the one to watch at icann this year. See who joins up. Lets see if they give control of these slots to the right full owners - or end up screwing up and making value judgements on other peoples property.

Great fun ... thanks Stephanee,
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551