Re: [ga] Sponsorship of IGF Workshops

Karl Auerbach wrote:

Even if ICANN were to vanish in a poof of money colored smoke IP packets would still flow unvexed from source IP address to destination IP address and domain name query packets would continue to be transformed into domain name response packets. Registrars would still buy and sell domain names and registrars would still construct zone files and run their name servers. Intellectual property lawyers will whine, but will compensate by increasing the bills they send to their clients. And a lot of superfluous "staff" and consultants would have to find new jobs.

Amen. That day is coming.

I would go further and say that ICANN has actually cause problems in the technical function. I'm a bit concerned with their little experiment in list IDN TLDs as A RRs.

Also speaking about TLDs as A RRs, what about localhost. That TLD causes alot of traffic at the root server level. And if ICANN published it's root server traffic analysis we would see that. Every computer in the world knows the answer to localhost. The only localhost traffic that is hitting ICANN roots these days is coming from misconfigured computers. If ICANN provided an answer to localhost then would that not be better. Would te internet not benefit from a decrease in localhost traffic to the root servers.

Part of the function of managing internet resources is to correct error.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551