[ga] Re: [A2k] C-Span deal with Google suggests greater restrictions on access to public affairs footage

  • To: Vint Cerf <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [A2k] C-Span deal with Google suggests greater restrictions on access to public affairs footage
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 22:27:05 -0700
  • Cc: "'James Love'" <james.love@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'a2k discuss list'" <a2k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'General Assembly of the DNSO'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vint and all,

Nice deflection Vint, no cigar again though. Copyright has to be applied for
and any copyright holder has wide latitude in it's use.  So as far a "public
affairs"
information no copyright is necessary, but can be applied for and possibly
granted.  In the case of the C-Span deal with Google, suggesting any
"public affairs" information be restricted, is a indication at least of
selective censorship and in direct conflict with "the internet for everyone"
and public domain, most especially regarding "public affairs" information...