Re: [ga] Early Warning: CAIDA Analysis of IPv4 consumption rates

At 15:12 07/04/2006, Danny Younger wrote:

Hi Jefsey,
My interest is in knowing

I understand you. But the I* community has NOT been a good stewart of the world digital ecosystem. And will never be. This is normal. It never wanted it. It was not meant to. This job was imposed onto a demo system by the US communications policy (deregulation prevented an nationwide system to exist.The rest of the world needed the US datacoms market so it had to regress to the US inadequate solution).

(1) what global policies are in place that deal with IPv4 reclamation;

There is none, because the Internet is not a private, public company. It is a common system where many people have many policies. With a huge qui pro quo named ICANN and de facto monopolies named RIRs. There is only one question: how can we organise. After the failure of @large and of this list to understand the job and to organise, the world has decided of the IGF forum to discuss it. IP addressing is for the time being not a top priority. Simply because there are more important ones in the Intermess.

(2) what impact IPv4 depletion will have upon the global business community, and the costs associated with ramping up to IPv6;

The impact - I quoted it started a long ago. It hampers the network for long. And will continue. Again @large were the response, because the response can only be grassroots. So the solution will NOT be IPv6 by RIRs. It will be IPv6 by ITU or/and NAT.Simply because no oneis interested inpaying RIRs for a service no one would need if it addressing was organised differently.

(3)is a black market for IPv4 address expected to emerge, and if so, can policies be put into place that would serve to deter anticipated
price gouging and profiteering? Perhaps someone from the addressing community can speak to these points.

This is part of thepriority to fight crime. No one yet can know the result before Sept/Nov. (IGF)

It comes down to this... are we being good stewards of this diminishing resource?

No. Commons problem.
But no one asked for the burden.
Except now the author of RFC 3935 who even claims competence and responsibility.
jfc

Danny