Re: [ga] Languages in the Root

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, GNSO/DNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Languages in the Root
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:13:52 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

I agree as do many of our members that broadening the root to be
inclusive of other languages is an idea that has need of coming
to pass.  Yet, as most of the world recognizes English as the international
language of trade and commerce, as well as diplomacy, many non-English
speakers would of course object to such.  This is in MHO why the free
market should dictate the variability of such a need or consideration.

But it is not just the inclusiveness of other languages other than english,
but the inclusiveness of other root structures that is as important...

Danny Younger wrote:

> I'd like to review a remark made earlier by Chris
> McElroy:  "imagine if there was a tld for every
> category in the phone book. .plumber, .electrician,
> .hairdresser,
> .computersupplies, .officesupplies, etc."
>
> If we start thinking of the DNS as an analog to a
> yellow pages directory, then we will have to
> acknowledge that telephone directories come in many
> languages.
>
> This might mean that a higher-level naming structure
> may ultimately be required -- for instance, a language
> code (ISO 639) becomes the TLD with all of the "phone
> book categories" becoming reserved sub-domain
> registrations.
>
> Another option is pursuing the D-Name mapping approach
> where each new TLD is mapped into a variety of
> languages.
>
> I think that we need to stop being so
> english-language-centric and starting thinking about
> how we are going to structure a namespace so that the
> rest of the world may benefit from that which the
> Internet can offer.
>
> My earlier contribution in this area, "Languages in
> the Root: A TLD Launch Strategy Based on ISO 639" can
> be read at
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/languages_in_the_root_a_tld_launch_strategy_based_on_iso_639/

> http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827