Re: [ga] Policy for dealing with controversial TLDs

  • To: RBHauptman@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Policy for dealing with controversial TLDs
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:06:09 -0800
  • Cc: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Her Hauptman and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

The free market never produced scoundrels such as those you indirectly
refer to.  The were there long before the free market system was ever
conceived.  The free market allows for free thinking and ideas to
enter the market place of both ideas, trade and commerce.  The salt
vaccine is one outstanding example of the goodness that the free
market aided in providing for.  There are of course many others,
including the inventions of Thomas Edison, Marconni, ect., ect.

To demonize the free market system in a was that is a characterization
of a falsehood is extraordinary to be sure, Her Hauptman.

RBHauptman@xxxxxxx wrote:

> that the "free" market produced the robber barons (and other similar
> scoundrels) is another example of why the "free" market stinks.
>
> (I can see the flurry of emails defending these ill-begotten
> scoundrels. let
> 'em fly gentlemen let 'em fly..... )
>
> sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> I  wrote:
> > I believe many people have an interesting conception of what a  free
> market
> > may be, few have a true understanding of it.  What I  have been
> hearing
> > over the past several years from many people on this  list is the
> > equivalent of the besmirching of the so-called "robber  barons" in
> what
> > many 'capitalists' point to as the Golden Age of the  free market
> system.
> > Carnegie and the rest had their detractors in  their day too.
>
> Here's an excerpt from an interesting article  at
> http://www.city-journal.org/html/5_1_a2.html:
>
> "In an age bereft  of political heroes, the entrepreneurs who forged
> America's industrial  economy served as role models for the nation's
> young.
>
> The best of them  exemplified virtues long treasured by Americans:
> vision,
> energy,  perseverance, hard work, and character. Even though most
> started
> near the  top, enough outsiders, like Gould, Carnegie, and Vanderbilt,
>
> climbed the  slippery ladder of success to preserve the American dream
> that
> anyone could  do so.
>
> But still these businessmen were vilified, at bottom perhaps  because
> they
> did their work too well. So brilliantly did they exploit the  open
> system
> to amass wealth and power that they forced radical changes in  the
> rules by
> their excesses, even as they forged an industrial system that
> produced
> quality goods on a colossal scale at prices that declined steadily
> for
> more than 30 years.
>
> E. H. Harriman, who by the time of his death  in 1909 controlled more
> railroad mileage than anyone else and had brought  the industry into a
> new
> era based on long hauls of large volumes at low  rates, pronounced the
> most
> clear-sighted judgment on himself and his fellow  Robber Barons.
> During an
> interview, he startled a reporter by pulling out a  sheet filled with
> data
> on improvements to the Union Pacific Railroad. "As  he read from it,"
> the
> reporter later recalled, "I realized it was the  apologia pro vita
> sua."
>
> "But the public assails and attacks you," said  the reporter when
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827