[ga] Languages in the Root

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Languages in the Root
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 08:23:05 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd like to review a remark made earlier by Chris
McElroy:  "imagine if there was a tld for every
category in the phone book. .plumber, .electrician,
.hairdresser,
.computersupplies, .officesupplies, etc."

If we start thinking of the DNS as an analog to a
yellow pages directory, then we will have to
acknowledge that telephone directories come in many
languages.

This might mean that a higher-level naming structure
may ultimately be required -- for instance, a language
code (ISO 639) becomes the TLD with all of the "phone
book categories" becoming reserved sub-domain
registrations.

Another option is pursuing the D-Name mapping approach
where each new TLD is mapped into a variety of
languages.

I think that we need to stop being so
english-language-centric and starting thinking about
how we are going to structure a namespace so that the
rest of the world may benefit from that which the
Internet can offer.

My earlier contribution in this area, "Languages in
the Root: A TLD Launch Strategy Based on ISO 639" can
be read at
http://www.circleid.com/posts/languages_in_the_root_a_tld_launch_strategy_based_on_iso_639/