[ga] Localized TLDs

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Localized TLDs
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 10:56:28 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was re-reading the proposal put forth by George
Kirikos for an ascension allocation method when I was
struck by his initial remark that "we should be guided
by the toll-free numbers allocation system".

I started wondering what the internet might be like
if, for example, a New York City resident could access
local content by recourse to a .212 TLD that limited
registrations to those that had a phone number in the
212 area code.  My assumption is that such New Yorkers
would have no problem becoming accustomed to a
numerical TLD that corresponded with their own area
code and would probably discover a great amount of
utility in such a namespace.

John Klensin has been fond of pointing out that the
nature of the current naming system is such that it
cannot support both Joe's Pizza (of Boston) and Joe's
Pizza (of San Francisco) as only one joespizza may be
registered in a TLD.
http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-klensin-dns-role/

If each area code had its own TLD, then the Joe's of
this world would have a greater opportunity to
establish domains that corrsponded with their
particular business identities.  Yes, it's a taxonomic
approach with nexus requirements, but it would
probably serve local communities better than the
current set of alternatives.