Re: [ga] Re: Interesting Times

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Interesting Times
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:24:20 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny,

This is certainly accurate today as it was in Paines' time. After all, times really do not change, only the actors do.
We certainly agree that there are Voices that wax eloquently and loud for the inherent right for self governance. But it appears that you are defending the protagonists yet do not believe that the common user of the net requires a voice or representation. It would appear that you are satisfied that your current day Paines' of which I find none are doing the job. (Oh perhaps Karl.) **Wait, this has confused the issue, as it is my understanding you are referencing the work of Paine that was not appreciated in its' time, or more correctly appreciated enough to admire his mind yet not appreciated enough to alter a status quo.** We also need not go far from Paine to recognize the Juxtaposition of Washington - not a great orator or writer, not a leader of a political party, signatory perhaps but not co-creator of the documents which establish a nation he is known to have fathered. Certainly not a commoner, but a leader and a man of conviction and love. These to illustrate the diff!
erence
 between leading and thinking.
It would appear that you are satisfied to have correct and honest ideas put forth. That it is good enough to have firebrands proclaim that which is common and sensible and that representation need only be in the sense of intellectual representation and not actual physical. Your model portends simply placing firebrands among the ruling elite so that mistakes and treachery are pointed out and transparency is maintained through notification. I think it would be fair to characterize your method as the equalization of the fourth estate. Your revolution appears to follow more the Lutherazation/Gutenberg education of the masses concept.
Please correct me where I am mistaken.

Eric

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric asks:  "why do you think it is important they have a voice?"

Eric,

There was a man who was laid to rest in a corner of his small farm in New Rochelle not far from where I live.  He died in poor health and poverty as an alcoholic and as an outcast.  He never established a political society or organization and was not responsible for a single reforming measure even though he was elected to public office.  But this man will not be forgotten -- he authored the pamphlet, "Common Sense"; he wrote "The Rights of Man" as well as "The Age of Reason" -- he was Thomas Paine.

Paine taught us that each age of man has the right to establish a political system which satisfies its needs.  Our Internet Age also requires a system that will satisfy our needs.  There are times when society requires a firebrand, a Thomas Paine, to point out that which we all know, but often fail to vocalize.  We have our firebrands in the WSIS process, in the blogs and in the civil society leadership.  Why is it important they have a voice?... so that common sense and rights are brought to the forefront of a new revolution, a revolution that is calling for transparency and democracy in the management of the Internet.