Re: [ga] Interesting Times

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Interesting Times
  • From: Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:21:06 -0500
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hugh Dierker wrote:

If I may be so bold;
Are you taking the position that non-IT professionals should not be considered appropriate candidates for voting rights as members of ICANN?

I don't really have to, ICANN has already done so.

And further, the reason is that they are simply too ignorant to participate in the steerage of the vessel.

Well, to be honest, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable if the average guest on the Jerry Springer show was at the helm of the vessel. Would you?

I believe in history you will find such examples. As Franklin once wrote of a revolution he was watching " a fool sir is still a fool and the mere fact that you gather them by the multitudes only aggravates the situation". Marx of course shared this point of view, that it would take decades for the proletariat to gain the intelligence for democratic self rule.

The very notion that Marx believed that this could evetually happen at all, is where his brand of "democracy" differs from that of Benjamin Franklin.

Your personal attacks against me and California appear to be right on the money. Thank you for that insight.

Pardon me? In no way shape or form did I "attack" California or anyone else, for that matter. If you choose to view my response as an attack, well, there's really not much I can do to revamp your hermeneutical apparatus and approach.

SS

--
This email includes a valid digital signature which positively distinguishes the sender and serves to ensure that the message has not been altered since it was sent. For more information on having your identity validated for use in your own Personal Certificate visit the THAWTE Web of Trust (WOT): https://www.thawte.com/wot/index.html

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.
begin:vcard
fn:Sotiris Sotiropoulos
n:Sotiropoulos;Sotiris
email;internet:sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx