Re: [ga] Sir Berners-Lee on specific problems with .mobi

At 06:04 p.m. 15/12/2004, you wrote:
Hello,

--- Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As a matter of record, I wish to make a point of this particular
> argument, and to let it stand in the archive of this body..,

I'll go on record too, that .mobi and .jobs (and .travel) all suck, and
won't go anywhere. They'll pollute the namespace.

How so? Pollution is typically a harm to bystanders.

Trademark holders will continue to feel that the cost of additional TLD registrations is negligible to them, compared to the risk of having to defend an accusation of lax trademark policing of their brand.
As you say, we may end up be little real traffic in those TLD's. Who cares?

For others new TLD's are perfectly avoidable.

The only application that I found appealing and compelling at present
was .post.

.tel has potential as a TLD, but I think there's no consensus yet on
who should run it. .tel could become more popular than .com, in terms
of number of registrations (not measured by DNS activity, though, in
terms of routing traffic, etc), but ideally would cost very little, so
that the benefits flow to consumers.

In all likelihood, pricing will be as close as possible to the current most competitive registrations, so that ICANN can project an additional revenue stream that will allow it to grow.

My concern is that users could be herded into chartered TLD's by industry agreements or regulation, without having any say in the wording of the charters or the appointment of office-holders.

BTW, how is ICANN's ombudsman office coming along?

--Joop--

www.icannatlarge.com