RE: [ga] NSI immediately registering domains that are searched on their site

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] NSI immediately registering domains that are searched on their site
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:39:04 -0500

George:

I'd like to clarify what we are doing.  In response to customer concerns
about Domain Name Front Running (domains being registered by someone
else just after they have conducted a domain name search), we have
implemented a security measure to protect our customers. The measure
will kick in when a customer searches for an available domain name at
our website, but decides not to purchase the name immediately after
conducting the search.

After the search ends, we will put the domain name on reserve. During
this reservation period, the name is not active and we do not monetize
the traffic on these domains. If a customer searches for the domain
again during the next 4 days at networksolutions.com, the domain will be
available to register.  If the domain name is not purchased within 4
days, it will be released back to the registry and will be generally
available for registration.

This protection measure provides our customers the opportunity to
register domains they have previously searched without the fear that the
name will be already taken through Front Running.

You are correct that we are trying to take an arrow out of the quiver of
the tasters.  As you know, domain tasters are the largest Front Runners.
Due to no fault of registrars, Front Runners purchase search data from
Internet Service Providers and/or registries and then taste those names.
Some folks may not agree with our approach, but we are trying to prevent
this malicious activity from impacting our customers.

Thanks.

Jon