[ga] Is Vint more equal than other IGF Civil Society Members ? (was ...)

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, "ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Is Vint more equal than other IGF Civil Society Members ? (was ...)
  • From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:47:47 +0200

On 08:44 22/09/2007, Roberto Gaetano said
George Kirikos WROTE:
> P.S. Vint is underpaid by Google if he has to ask for $5,000
> from ICANN, sheesh. One would think that $5,000 should be
> less than one day's salary+bonus.

The problem is not the amount of money but the conflict of interest. If Vint
is participating representing ICANN, ICANN should pay. Otherwise he would be
there representing Google, or in a personal capacity.

Dear Roberto,
This position of yours (as an ICANN BoD Vice-Chair) raises touchy but key democratic/polycratic issues we cannot avoid now.

1) There would definitely be a COI if Vint's ICANN representation mission in Rio was not precisely detailed by the BoD. Either he is the voice of ICANN and this must be transparent to the ICANN, Internet, and WSIS/IGF communities, or ICANN hires the voice and ideas of "Civil Society Vint" (that Google from the Private Sector area also rents on a yearly basis) creating a major COI. This is because we are many to consider Google as a leading market competitor and questionable IETF lobbyist/sponsor, for the reasons documented by the IAB in its RFC 3869 on Internet R&D financing. Moreover, RFC 3869 points are among the motivations that lead to the creation of the IGF.

Please understand, I have no problem in Vintnet being supported in Rio, but Karlnet, Joopnet, Alacnet, icannet, ietfnet, n(e)tia, jfcnet, etc. should be equally supported and funded. Also, it should be clear that during the whole Rio meeting Vint, and no one else should refer to his Google employeeship and experience/solutions, except as for any former employee could do.

2) this creates an ICANN BoD Chair credibility. Vint is going to have a successor as a Chair of the ICANN BoD. Will he be a Vint's puppet? Will he attend the IGF Rio meeting? Who will eventually speak for ICANN: Vint or the new elected Chair? Your above position is very important because you are the ICANN BoD Vice-Chair, because many consider (support that) you might be this new ICANN Chair, and because in different areas (like the IANA evolution) a question one may have is "who is to be the real operator".

3) Moreover, there are problems enough with the current internet and in Vint addressing area: attempting to transfer them to Vintnet in the public's mind is a bad turn to Vint. It would also signal that apart from Vint, ICANN has no

On another hand, if the idea is to promote Vint's "don't fix what ain't broke" message, it might speed up the "we better replace it before it does" emerging consensus (IGF is for "emerging" issues).

4) Anyway, this rates the Internet Community accepted Rio individual participation cost for an IGF civil society voluntary. This means that the Internet community should guarantee the same budget to every concerned civil society voluntary, or force down every IGF participant (from every sector [industry, Govs, International orgs]) to the same non private budget as mine and many's ($ 0). Otherwise, this means that some stakeholders would be far more equal than others, and would bias the whole IGF process and credibility.

5) all this are definitely a matter for the IGF Dynamic Coalition on the Internet Governance. It is also an added motivation for the creation of an IGF "ICANN Dynamic Coalition" to publicly, transparently, efficiently cover the ICANN emerging issues.
jfc