RE: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:55:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Roberto,

--- Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> George Kirikos wrote:
>
> > Roberto: Would you support renaming this list to the PDML to
> > eliminate confusion?
>
> George,
> I am sympathetic to the consideration that an inappropriate name
> might
> engender confusion in the press, and inaccurate perceptions in the
> readers
> of said press.
> However, I have to confess that for the time being I am much more
> interested
> in the future than in the present, in the sense that I would like to
> concentrate on what could be, if any, a role for a General Assembly
> in a
> post-GNSO-review scenario.

Words have meanings....with reference to any dictionary definition of
"general assembly", this mailing list in not a "general assembly." If
you have no problems allowing confusion and inaccurate perceptions to
persist for literally years while reform takes place, that's not a good
thing, when the inaccuracy can be corrected in 5 minutes. If it can be
made a Board priority to reimburse Vint Cerf $5,000 to attend an IGF
meeting after leaving his Chairman/Board position:

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-14aug07.htm

"Resolved (07.68) that Vint Cerf be authorized to speak on behalf of
ICANN at the upcoming IGF Meeting in Rio as its Past-Chair and that
expenses related to his travel will be paid by ICANN."

it can certainly be a priority to fix outside perceptions of this list
and what it truly represents, through a simple renaming.

Even under any plausible post-GNSO review, this would not be a "General
Assembly" (take a look again at what the dictionary definition of a
"general assembly" means).

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/

P.S. Vint is underpaid by Google if he has to ask for $5,000 from
ICANN, sheesh. One would think that $5,000 should be less than one
day's salary+bonus.

http://www.google.com/corporate/execs.html#vint