Re: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:41:23 -0700

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

Anyway, to have an ICANN-wide body open to individuals for discussion on
general items can be misinterpreted as being a membership body, which would
have unintended legal implications under California law (just my personal
opinion, IANAL).

On the other hand I *am* a lawyer, licensed in California (unlike at least one ICANN affiliated attorney who lacks a California license - http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=06001-07000&file=6125-6140.05 who is probably the source of the FUD you are getting as a board member.)

Those "consequences" of membership are very good things to have, not things to be feared.

See my note on this at: http://www.cavebear.com/archive/icann-board/platform.htm#full-members

ICANN has already had an election that under California law is an indicator of membership corporation. ICANN's use of the word "selection" did not make it less of an election; the law recognizes reality, not deceptive words. ICANN is trying to say that the elephant is not pink because it is "rose" colored. So the threshold has already been passed; but as we all from experience, that sometimes it takes a 2x4 across the noggin to get ICANN to adhere even to the most clearly and unambiguously expressed requirements of the law - http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/DNS_control/ICANN_IANA_IAHC/Auerbach_v_ICANN/.

I've had the current California Secretary of State over to my house and we discussed ICANN around my kitchen table. She finds ICANN's behavior to be, even using the most charitable of language, very questionable.

By-the-way, all of those legal implications of membership, listed in the URL above, are very good things to have and are not to be feared.

By-the-way, why does ICANN go even further and strip the domain buying public of the right to enforce ICANN's contracts when ICANN does not by denying the public even the right to be named as "third party beneficiaries" on ICANN's registrar and registry contracts?

Is ICANN every going to grant third party beneficiary status to domain name registrants?

ICANN appears to have deep contempt for the community of internet users. Is it any wonder that the community of internet users responds in kind?

Global IP address policy is becoming increasingly important as IPv4 addresses become more and more scarce - one can use the internet without a TLD, but one can not use the net without IP addresses. So if this GA is locked into names, then where is the GA for addresses? It certainly isn't in the RIRs - those only do regional IP address policy, not global.

It would be an ASO matter. The public mailing list is
aso-policy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (see http://aso.icann.org/lists/index.html).

Wow, a dozen messages for the entire year 2007 so far, largely about phone bridges and secretarial matters of approving minutes. Not very impressive.

Yet this does not mean that addresses are uninteresting: The vibrancy and concern about address policies is reflected by the daily load of regional dialog on the ARIN mailing lists, on the IETF and NANOG lists.

Yet none of that even begins to even dimly twinkle on ICANN's ASO. Why, because ICANN's ASO is moribund if not dead.

ICANN's policy of dividing dialog into teensy tiny little boxes means that the large, area-spanning issues - for instance how we deal with the needs of internet users - are buried under the focused pressure of industrial interests - trademark/registries in DNS, ISP's in IP addressing.

The GA has at least a germ of life. And it is called the "General" assembly, not the "Names" assembly.

                --karl--