Re: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Questions for Joe Baptista / Eric Dierker, and why the GA list should be ended
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 02:02:40 -0700

George Kirikos wrote:
http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-14aug07.htm

"Resolved (07.68) that Vint Cerf be authorized to speak on behalf of
ICANN at the upcoming IGF Meeting in Rio as its Past-Chair and that
expenses related to his travel will be paid by ICANN."

I missed that one. It is absurd. And it admits that ICANN lives under morte main - the principle of the dead hand - that retains control even after it is formally detached from the body of ICANN.

To speak "on behalf of ICANN" means that there is some authority to the words. Yet, unless Vint is made an officer or employee, there is no legal foundation and it is a dereliction of corporate responsibility to expend funds in this manner.

I would go so far as to suggest that there may be a risk under US tax laws that the directors who voted for this may be personally liable under the rule of "intermediate sanctions" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_sanctions - part of the US Federal tax code. And since "intermediate sanctions" are a tax, they tend to be excluded from any director liability coverage.

It is utterly amazing to me how badly ICANN's board, individually and collectively comprehends their, and its, legal responsibilities.

                --karl--