[registrars] Results of ballot on Domain Tasting, Mail Motion and Amendment.

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Results of ballot on Domain Tasting, Mail Motion and Amendment.
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:53:48 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Registrars:

The following has just been sent to the Voting list:

Here are the results of the ballot on the Main Motion and the Amendment.

	     The Amendment passed by 1 vote out of 31.

Based upon an agreement within Excom, as the Amendment was supported by a majority of those voting, it triggers a new ballot on the substance of the Amendment, which reads as follows:

The Amendment

Inasmuch as there has been much written on domain tasting and kiting in the general RC mail list, and,

Inasmuch as there has been no definitive work or ballot to find a consensus or supermajority among ICANN Accredited Registrars,

Now, therefore, I move that a vote be taken to determine the position of the members of the Registrars Constituency on domain tasting.

end quote:

Registrars agree that the Add Grace Period  AGP) should not be "Sunset" in any of GNSO's proposed remedies of alleged problems caused by Domain Tasting.  The ballot will therefore have three options, 1. Vote in favour of Domain Tasting, 2. Vote against Domain Tasting and 3. Abstain.  An excellent text describing these options is found in the Main Motion, View 2 for votes in favour, and View 1 for votes against:

	http://icannregistrars.org/Talk:ICANN_Registrars

I urge all voters to Abstain only when they are ambivalent on an issue or feel that they do not have sufficient background information to make a sound judgement of issues coming before our Constituency.

Now for the details of the balloting;

There were 29 votes cast through Votebot.  There were two additional votes from members who had problems with Votebot, Paul Stahura of eNom and Thorsten Smeets of Key-Systems.  These two additional ballots were favorable for the Main Motion and effectively cancelled one another on the Amendment.  However, it is beneficial that we have as many members voting as possible, it makes our positions more credible.  In summary, 62 Members were on the Voting List, we received ballots from 31 of them, exactly half of the eligible voters.  I shall include Paul's and Thorsten's votes in square brackets at the end of each section:

Results for Balloting on Domain Tasting
Number of ballots received by Votebot:  31 .

There is a discrepancy of two.  I checked with Dan Busarow and he answered as follows:

There were two ballots returned as "out of office" replies.  They
satisfied all checks and were counted as ballots with no selections.

end quote:

An HTML version of the result is available at http://registrars.beach.net/votes/
On the Motion, please select one
    Vote in favour of the motion  18, Adjusted to 20
    Vote against the motion  4
    Abstain  7

On the Amendment, please select one
    Vote in favour of the Amendment  15, Adjusted to 16
    Vote against the Amendment  6
    Abstain  8, Adjusted to 9

Voting Details

On the Motion, please select one
    Vote in favour of the motion
        63  adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        65  bobc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        26  donny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        48  fd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        22  gp@xxxxxxxxxx
        14  hinojosa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        64  jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx
        3  jeckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        20  jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        2  john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        43  joyce@xxxxxxxxx
        18  margie.milam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        72  mark.klein@xxxxxxxx
        35  nicrelations@xxxxxxxxx
        13  rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        24  tim@xxxxxxxxxxx
        62  tmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        71  tom@xxxxxxxx
        Total for Vote in favour of the motion: 18
	[Plus Paul Stahura]
	[Plus Thorsten Smeets]
	Adjusted Total:  20

    Vote against the motion
        32  bill@xxxxxxxx
        21  cpage@xxxxxxxxxxx
        8  mdierstein@xxxxxxxxxxx
        45  paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        Total for Vote against the motion: 4

    Abstain
        30  benjamin@xxxxxx
        9  marcus.faure@xxxxxxxxxxx
        23  ross@xxxxxxxxxx
        70  russ@xxxxxxxxxx
        68  seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        1  tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx
        39  todd@xxxxxxxxxxx
        Total for Abstain: 7

On the Amendment, please select one
    Vote in favour of the Amendment
        63  adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        65  bobc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        21  cpage@xxxxxxxxxxx
        26  donny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        48  fd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        22  gp@xxxxxxxxxx
        14  hinojosa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        64  jcvignes@xxxxxxxxxxx
        43  joyce@xxxxxxxxx
        18  margie.milam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        72  mark.klein@xxxxxxxx
        8  mdierstein@xxxxxxxxxxx
        45  paulg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        70  russ@xxxxxxxxxx
        62  tmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Total for Vote in favour of the Amendment: 15
	[Plus Thorsten Smeets]
	Adjusted Total:  16

    Vote against the Amendment
        3  jeckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        20  jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        2  john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        35  nicrelations@xxxxxxxxx
        13  rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        24  tim@xxxxxxxxxxx
        Total for Vote against the Amendment: 6

    Abstain
        30  benjamin@xxxxxx
        32  bill@xxxxxxxx
        9  marcus.faure@xxxxxxxxxxx
        23  ross@xxxxxxxxxx
        68  seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        1  tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx
        39  todd@xxxxxxxxxxx
        71  tom@xxxxxxxx
        Total for Abstain: 8
	[Plus Paul Stahura]
	Adjusted Total: 9

Against the Amendment, 6 and Abstentions, 9 equals 15.

There were 16 votes favorable to the Amendment and 15 Against + Abstentions.
The Amendment passed.

Respectfully submitted,
Bob Connelly
Secretary of Registrar Constituency.