RE: [registrars] RE: PDP Dec 05: Reserved Names Working Group: response needed

  • To: "Peter Stevenson- Fabulous.com" <peter.stevenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] RE: PDP Dec 05: Reserved Names Working Group: response needed
  • From: Elmar Knipp <elmar.knipp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:20:59 +0200 (METDST)
  • Cc: "'Tim Ruiz'" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Registrar Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ray Fassett'" <rfassett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Liz Williams'" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Peter Stevenson- Fabulous.com wrote:

I agree with Tim and believe that the reserving of gTLD strings from
registration at a second level should be dropped for all new gTLDs.

All new gTDL should be treated the same as each other.

I do not believe or know of any adverse affects that would occur from this
being dropped

Hi Peter and Tim,

treating everything, also unequal things, the same is in general a bad idea ;-)

Assume the following example: What would you say if the supervisory school authority of Greenland would define the rules what scholars in Brisbane Queensland are not allowed to wear in school? "All schools should be treaded the same as each other" (mis-quotation of your statement above.) I assume you would protest against my mis-quoting statement ;-)))

You have to decide on a case by case basis to fit the needs of the special addressed internet community.

@Tim: Look in the (old) RFC 1535, which deals with "... weakness realted to the search heuristic invoked by these same resolvers when users provide a partial domain name, ...". I know from some research that these old resolvers are still out there (< 1%). We should consider that. I am not argueing pro or con, just saying that there are some adverse affects.

Best regards,
Elmar

--
Elmar Knipp