Re: [registrars] DROA Notice

  • To: Jim Archer <jarcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] DROA Notice
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 07:18:21 -0500
  • Cc: John Berryhill <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim Archer wrote:
Part of the problem is that ICANN has created a transfer policy, with the support of this constituency, that promotes exactly this type of activity. We get frequent support calls from customers who have been tricked and are upset about it.

Registrars should be the primary point of contact with their customers. We know our customers and how to contact them. We should be allowed to deny a transfer if our customer does not affirmatively allow it. If a registrar was allowed to protect their customers, then the Panix situation never would have happened and registrars could rightly claim to be a protector of the customer's property.

Both of your contentions are factually incorrect Jim. Transfer fraud preys on uninformed registrants. Hijackings exploit implementation flaws at a local level. The transfer policy provides substantial protection for registrants, in the form of locks and other mechanisms. Do you use these mechanisms to help your customers protect themselves? The notion that registrars are going to manually verify each transfer out and cancel those that are inappropriate is about as ridiculous that every registrant is going to proactively lock their domain name, use a strong password and not pay renewal fees to third parties they've never heard of.

-ross