RE: [registrars] White paper on new gTLDs from Philip Sheppard et al

  • To: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] White paper on new gTLDs from Philip Sheppard et al
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:24:12 +0530
  • Cc: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bruce,

Other vexing things have been keeping me busy though I wanted to make sure I
comment on this thread. The new gTLD process is of significant concern to
Registrars which is why I have always made sure we reserve a slot of an hour
each meeting for discussion surrounding it.

The attached presentation is heavily biased towards sTLDs, and I don't buy
almost any of the arguments made - specifically the ones that talk about the
fact that ICANN core values somehow demonstrate that there should only be
sTLDs.

* Infact their primary core value - creating competition, initself demands
that current gTLDs which are non-sponsored have ongoing and continuous
competition

* It would be foolhardy for me to break down and analyze every aspect of
this presentation since there are too many things I want to say :)

* however I am not too concerned about this presentation yet considering
that the process to my mind has not even begun. As discussed with Olof the
gTLD process is a lil confusing at the moment given that it is not even
ascertained whether there should be new gTLDs

I was planning actually this time round at Lux, to constitute an official
group and processes within the Registrar constituency towards the new gTLD
process so that we have a say in the entire process and are always in the
loop. However we have all been so caught up with this .NET issue that I let
it and other similar ideas rest for the time being.

I will be floating my ideas on this shortly - once I have fulfilled my
responsibilities to the current priorities.

Thanks for a copy of this presentation. It helps to know what the other
constituencies are thinking and undoubtedly they have their reasons to think
in a particular fashion. I realize from this that it may help to push this
topic during the cross constituency meetings. It is as I too suspected that
different constituencies have diametrically opposite views in this regards.

Bhavin