RE: [registrars] White paper on new gTLDs from Philip Sheppard et al

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] White paper on new gTLDs from Philip Sheppard et al
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:39:52 -0700
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I personally don't support the concept of sponsored
> versus non-sponsored.  I am more interested in what
> the TLD is for - not how it is governed.

Agreed. The last round of sTLDs included many of what I considered gTLDs
anyway.

I am also concerned with viability. Registry failure is going to happen
sooner or later. But there is no point in inviting it by only requiring
cetain financial and technical requirements for a new TLD. That does not
do much for promoting a stable and secure Internet. I think there also
needs to be verifiable market research that indicates viability, and
clear and well defined marketing plans from any applicant.

Tim