RE: [registrars] Rules of Procedure Motion

  • To: "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Rules of Procedure Motion
  • From: "Paul Stahura" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:00:11 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think we need a clarification of the clarification that eurid released
today.  Does this "reseller" policy mean that both Yahoo and Microsoft,
for example, need to be accredited as ICANN and .eu registrars before
they can offer names to their customers?

After reading, Article 4 of the EC regulation, my interpretation of it
would not rule out Yahoo selling .eu names via a registrar such as
Melbourne IT (obviously the registrant would have a contract with the
accredited registrar regardless of how they registered the name), but it
now seems to me that eurid's "clarification" DOES rule out Yahoo selling
.eu names (unless Yahoo is ICANN and .eu accredited).

Will all ISPs, web-hosting companies, etc., worldwide, need to be
accredited, or would they need to list themselves as the registrant or
something?
Is a registrant not permitted to resell its name to another registrant?
Does the regulation only apply during the sunrise (I guess I can
understand if so)?

CORE? MIT? WildWest? Tucows? Pretty much all of us "resell" names in
some fashion.
Its baffling to me, any insight would be appreciated.  Maybe I'm just
interpreting it wrong somehow (hopefully)?

Paul

See:
http://www.eurid.eu/news/archive/reselingdomains

"Reselling" of .eu domain name services
Important notice concerning the "reselling" of .eu domain name services

A consultation with the European Commission services has led towards a
clear position concerning the offering of so called "reseller" services
for .eu domain names.

Regulation 784/2004 of the European Commission laying down the public
policy rules concerning the .eu Top Level Domain states clearly that
only registrars accredited by the Registry (EURid) shall be permitted to
offer registration services for .eu domain names (see article 4 of the
regulation). This means that the offering of services as a "reseller"
(as a kind of subcontractor of an accredited registrar or as an
intermediary without having concluded an agreement with the Registry in
order to become an accredited registrar) is completely excluded.

EURid advises to check at all times if your service provider appears in
the list of accredited registrars. Only companies and undertakings which
appear in that list have the authorisation to offer .eu domain name
services.