[registrars] .eu notifications

  • To: "'Paul Stahura'" <stahura@xxxxxxxx>, "'Registrars Constituency'" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] .eu notifications
  • From: "Divyank Turakhia" <divyank.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 02:49:48 +0530
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment on  <http://www.eurid.eu/news/archive/reselingdomains>
http://www.eurid.eu/news/archive/reselingdomains :

Article 4 of COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 874/2004 states:

"Only registrars accredited by the Registry shall be permitted to offer
registration services for names under the .eu TLD."

>From what I read of it - ONLY registrars accredited by the registry shall be
permitted by the registry to offer registration services for names under the
.eu TLD. From what I know of local laws, no company (in this case the
registry) can prevent any other company from conducting a legal business and
hence rule out resellers of registrars.

Even if they manage to state in the registry-registrar contract - that
registrars cannot appoint resellers for .eu - "Resellers" can always act as
an agent NOT of the registrar but of the "Customer" and as the agent of the
"Customer", register a .eu domain name with the registrar on behalf of the
customer. I guess contracts could be restructured to that effect - I am
still to talk to our legal team about this.

Further comments on the COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 874/2004:

Point 3 states:
"Only parties who meet certain basic technical requirements to be determined
by the Registry should be eligible for accreditation"

According to the EU registry, anyone who has the capacity to pay EUR 10,000
has met the "basic technical requirements" as specified above.

- Divyank

Warm Regards
Divyank Turakhia
President & Director