RE: [registrars] Motion for a Vote on Grace Period Deletion Fee

  • To: <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Motion for a Vote on Grace Period Deletion Fee
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:46:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Unfortunately, this fee, proposed by registrars on a system that is
>demonstrably profiting the registry . . . .

There are two fees being discussed here.  It appears that folks may be
confusing the two.  Jay proposed a 25 cent fee to the Registry, whereas
I am discussing the existing 25 cent ICANN Transaction Fee, which has
absolutely nothing to do with the registry.  The ICANN Transaction Fee
is paid to ICANN to support its hopefully worthwhile endeavors,
including ensuring registrar compliance with contractual requirements.
The issue is whether registrars that register names under the
"traditional" registration business model should be financially
supporting registrars that register names under the "register and
delete" business model by essentially paying their share of the ICANN
fee.  I think not.  ICANN has asked the registrars to pay $11.8 million
in 2005/06 Transaction Fees.  That amount, if approved, should be shared
equitably by all registrars.  If the economics are such that the
"register and delete" business model can't sustain the same 25 cent fee
that all registrars have to pay when registering a name, so be it --
then ICANN wouldn't have to spend any of its resources regulating that
activity.