RE: [registrars] Motion for a Vote on Grace Period Deletion Fee

  • To: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jay Westerdal" <jwesterdal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Motion for a Vote on Grace Period Deletion Fee
  • From: "John Berryhill" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 23:19:59 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>  If ICANN starts assessing this fee on
> all such names, we may see the Transaction Fee reduced from 25 cents
> much sooner than Kurt mentioned on the budget call yesterday.

No.  You will simply see the volume of registration/deletes, along with the
rate of residual registrations, go down.  No one who is going to test 1000
names that *might* net a subset of names earning $100 in traffic revenue is
going to pay $250 to do that.  Unfortunately, this fee, proposed by
registrars on a system that is demonstrably profiting the registry, is not
being proposed on the basis of any familiarity with the actual economics of
what is going on.

One has to wonder when specious reasons are advanced in support of a
proposition.  For example, someone mentioned phishing.  As someone who earns
part of his living investigation and shutting down phishing attacks on
behalf of a major bank, I just have to scratch my head and wonder at that
one.  Phishing attacks typically involve using a bogus text label in an http
anchor.  More often than not, the href field is either an IP address or a
free webhosting site.  Looking at whois data for a domain registration as
part of a phishing investigation is a waste of time - as if the data would
be valid in any event.

Also, if churning the same names is actually happening, then surely someone
has a list of observed names that have been the subject of this practice,
and the name of the responsible registrar.  If not, and I'm perfectly
willing to believe that someone might be doing this, then I have to believe
that someone is making up facts.  Otherwise, imposing a fee on the basis of
hypotheticals and rumors leads me to wonder what the "problem" really is.

It seems that the real reason for this motion has not been posted here.
Real reasons are supported by actual facts and figures.