RE: [registrars] HELP - ICANN FEES !

  • To: "'Bhavin Turakhia'" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Patricio Valdes'" <valdes@xxxxxxxxxx>, <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] HELP - ICANN FEES !
  • From: "Tim Cole" <cole@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:35:08 -0800
  • Cc: <schroeder@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Kurt Pritz'" <pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bhavin,

Your message indicates that there continues to be some misunderstanding
about the revenue section of the 2004-2005 ICANN budget.  To clarify, it is
being applied from the date adopted forward, not as you suggest, applied in
part from July and in part from November.  The 2004-2005 budget calls for a
new Per Registrar Variable Fee in the aggregate total amount of $3.8MM to be
collected "this fiscal year" and sets out the formula for calculating each
registrar's portion of the fee.  It is not retroactive to July, but simply a
total sum of what is to be collected during the year.  In fact, the language
in the adopted budget suggests that ICANN could have collected the entire
$3.8MM in a lump sum on the first invoice sent out after adoption of the
budget.  Nevertheless, ICANN is spreading the collection of it out over the
invoices for the remainder of the fiscal year.  Of course the annual fee cap
of $20,000 for this fee applies as does the total fee cap (of all fees
collected throughout the fiscal year) of $2MM.

Each revenue item in the budget went into effect when the budget was
adopted.  They are inter-related.  There is no provision in the budget
language for any of the revenue formula to be retroactive, which is why
there is no provision made to charge the $0.25 per transaction fee prior to
November or any provision to change the amount of the annual accreditation
fee prior to the budget's adoption.  Since it can be argued that the
implementation of one is designed in part to offset the other, to suggest
that some of the formula should be retroactive but not the rest would be
inconsistent.  ICANN believes the implementation of the current revenue
model is best understood and is the most fiscally sound with one common
effective date for all of its elements.  This is what the current invoices
reflect.

I certainly did not intend to make any statement in my earlier
correspondence on this matter that could have been interpreted to imply that
any of the fees were being pro-rated for the year over 8 months.  If that is
how you read it, I apologize.

Tim Cole
Chief Registrar Liaison
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers