RE: [registrars] RE: Call for Constituency statements on Whois tf 1/2 recommendations

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] RE: Call for Constituency statements on Whois tf 1/2 recommendations
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:05:10 -0700
  • Cc: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I move that we adopt the following as the Registrars' Constituency
statement regarding Whois TF 1/2 recommendations. Ross, this is
basically a slight rewrite of your comments.

Tim Ruiz
GoDaddy.com

<MOTION>
The Registrar Constituency position is that these recommendations are
over-reaching, unrealistic and inappropriate.

Specifically...

RE: 1. Registrars must ensure that disclosures regarding availability
and third-party access to personal data associated with domain names
actually be presented to registrants during the registration process.
Linking to an external web page is not sufficient.

It is inappropriate to view the registration exercise as a policy
education process. It is a registration process and should be as
simple, straightforward and unburdened as possible for registrants to
conclude. The current trend to "cram" all sorts of notices, and
prescribe the method of notification, into the registration process
interferes with the potential simplicity of this process.

Furthermore, presenting anything to the registrant during the
registration process is an entirely new obligation that would require
many registrars to completely re-establish their method of registration.
For wholesale registrars, this represents a highly onerous burden.

Lastly, this recommendation is highly unclear. What is a disclossure
regarding availability? Availability of what? This should be defined.

This recommendation would be acceptable in the following form (with the
potential to include a reference to "availability" if
agreeable clarification is forthcoming);

1. Registrar must disclose to potential registrants that personal data
associated with their domain name will be provided to third parties in
accordance with ICANN Whois policy.

RE: 2. Registrars must ensure that these disclosures are set aside from
other provisions of the registration agreement if they are presented to
registrants together with that agreement.  Alternatively, registrars may
present data access disclosures separate from the registration
agreement. The wording of the notice provided by registrars should, to
the extent
feasible, be uniform.

Prescribing the form and scope of my legal agreeements with my
registrants is inappropriate and without precedent under current
agreements. This entire clause should be removed from the
recommendations.

RE: 3. Registrars must obtain a separate acknowledgement from registrars
that they have read and understand these disclosures.  This provision
does not affect registrars' existing obligations to obtain registrant
consent to
the use of their contact information in the WHOIS system.

Presumably, this was intended to read "acknowledgement from Registrants
that...", nonetheless requiring separate acknowledgement is an
unworkable condition that cannot be practically implemented in the
current environment. Today, a Registrar is required to bind a
Registrant to a series of obligations. It is a well known fact that
customers do not read point-of-sale agreements. This is especially true
of click-wrap agreements. Ascertaining whether or not a Registrant has
read and understands those obligations is beyond the scope of existing
registration processes.

It is really only appropriate to obtain a Registrants agreement that
their data will be included in the Whois and make this a condition of
registration in a fashion similar to the other terms a Registrant must
agree to prior to undertaking a registration.

Since this is already required in the current RAA in sub-sections
3.7.7.4, 3.7.7.5, and 3.7.7.6, this recommendation should be removed
from the Task Force recommendations.
</MOTION>