[registrars] Recapitulations of nominations, BEAST, Nomcom, GNSO Representative.

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Recapitulations of nominations, BEAST, Nomcom, GNSO Representative.
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:34:17 -0800
  • Cc: RC Voting Members <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Members:<br><br>
Members of BEAST:<br><br>
Nominations were opened on 24 November for members of BEAST (Budget
Evaluation and Advisory Special Taskforce), otherwise known as the Budget
Advisory Group (BAG).<br><br>
There were four nominations received in the first seven days.&nbsp; All
were accepted and seconded and all submitted conflict of interest
statements.&nbsp; I'll be posting the ballot shortly.&nbsp; Considering
the holiday season, I believe we should let the ballot remain open for a
longer period, say,4 January.<br><br>
The candidates are as follows, in alphabetical order:<br><br>
Elmar Knipp<br>
Jonathon Nevett<br>
Tim Ruiz<br>
Bhavin Turakhia<br><br>
As there are three openings, you will be permitted to cast votes for up
to three candidates.<br><br>
GNSO Representative:<br><br>
Tom Keller's post on the GNSO Council expired at the AGM of ICANN in Cape
Town.&nbsp; Nominations were opened on 1 December 2004.<br><br>
Tom has been nominated to succeed himself.&nbsp; He has accepted, he has
received several seconds and he has submitted his conflict of interest
statement.<br><br>
There have been no other nominations.&nbsp; I suggest that he should be
elected by acclamation unless there is a mandatory requirement that we
hold an election.<br><br>
Nomcom Representative:<br><br>
Nominations were opened on 1 December 2004.&nbsp; <br><br>
Tom Barrett was nominated on 13 December 2004, he accepted and was
seconded.&nbsp; He has submitted his conflict of interest
statement.<br><br>
Elliot Noss was nominated and seconded on 20 December 2004.&nbsp; We have
not received his acceptance and conflict of interest statement.&nbsp;
Normally, we hold nominations open for only 14 days.&nbsp; The Rules of
Procedure specify the following:<br><br>
1)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Nomination of a candidate shall submit
such candidate's name to the Constituency mailing list. Such nomination
may be accompanied by the Proponent's endorsement of the
candidate.<br><br>
2)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Proponent must have one additional
endorsement, and the nominee must accept, in order to file the
nomination.&nbsp; Such filing is accomplished by sending the nomination
and endorsement by electronic means to the Constituency's
Secretary.<br><br>
3)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Constituency Secretary will
*<font color="#FF0000">publish the motion and call for discussion</font>*
immediately and in no case later than within 48 hours of receiving the
nomination from the Proponent.<br><br>
4)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Discussion of the motion will be held
open on the Constituency list for no less than 14 days.&nbsp; The Chair
will moderate the discussion on the list or at any meeting or call, as
applicable.<br><br>
5)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; During such time, other candidates may
be nominated by the same methods as those described for the original
nomination.<br><br>
6)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In no case will the time for publishing
the nomination to the list and the discussion be less than 14 days after
the Secretary publishes the motion.<br><br>
end quote:<br><br>
The Rules are confusing because they refer to a nomination as a
&quot;motion&quot;.&nbsp; The text had been cut and pasted from the
section on Motions.&nbsp; Note the reference in red,&nbsp; *call for
motion and call for discussion*, which make little sense for a
nomination.&nbsp; However, it would appear that the drafters intended to
have nominations held open for 14 days.&nbsp; That said, Elliot's
nomination came after the closing.&nbsp; I propose that we either elect
Tom Barrett by acclamation or that I post a ballot with only one
candidate.<br><br>
I await your comments.<br><br>
Respectfully submitted,<br>
Bob Connelly<br>
Secretary of Registrars Constituency<br>