RE: [registrars] PIR EPP 1.0 and Domain Info command

  • To: "Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine" <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] PIR EPP 1.0 and Domain Info command
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:11:50 +1000
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Eric,

I was agreeing that provisioning (via EPP) is separate to publication
(via WHOIS).

I do believe that it is appropriate to provide different amounts of
information in response to an EPP <info> query depending on whether you
are the registrar-of-record for a particular registry record, or whether
the registrar has the appropriate auth-info code.   In fact I believe I
suggested the use of auth-info in the <info> command at some point
during the development of the EPP protocol. This has been implemented
with EPP in the .au context.

While I believe that the direction PIR is taking (different amount of
information available depending on whether the registrar of record) is
sensible, I also agree that such changes should be made with
consultation so that all sides of the argument can be heard.   With
respect to the detail of the PIR change - I agree that the status of a
domain name should be available to all (via both WHOIS publication and
EPP provisioning interface).

Regards,
Bruce