Re: [registrars] Re: [dow3tf] Registrar Constituency Input re: Best Practices

  • To: registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] Re: [dow3tf] Registrar Constituency Input re: Best Practices
  • From: Jean-Michel Becar <jmbecar@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:15:50 +0900
  • Cc: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ross,

I think the lack of interest in all this whois work is
1- How can you beleive one second we will attain at least 10% of accuracy in all the inaccurate whois records? 2- The cost vs merit for registrars is very small, we know for regsitrant doesn't like to put their data public on the internet so how can we expect to force our registrants to come and update their old data? That will make some of our customers transfer their name to a proxy service... 3- The example of .org: we have been asked by PIR to update the phone numbers of the old names migrated from VErisign ....ok I will send an email to all my .org registrant asking them to update their phone number....how many answers i will get and I will get blacklisted for SPAM ....and then for the registrants who didn't update their phone number I will put +00 9999 99999 so those data will be accurate :-)

I think we messed up around 20 Millions names (before EPP) and it will be very hard and even impossible to came around....and only the IP lawers will have an interest in that so I guess the registrars just let the ball rolling alone.

my 2 cents
Jean-Michel

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

On 5/18/2004 10:44 AM sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx noted that:

Brian posted something first.  You extensively edited that.  I wrote
comments on top of yours and then I believe you responded to mine.  It
might help to post that response again for the group.