[registrars] WIPO II discussion.

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] WIPO II discussion.
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:47:26 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Registrars:

Please note the following agenda items:

3. WIPO II report - Report by Bob Connelly.
4. WLS and SiteFinder ? Report by ICANN
5. Joint meeting with other constituencies - Business, ISP
6. Joint meeting with the GAC, if they agree, to discuss ITU and UN meetings regarding Internet governance.

I recommend moving #3 down to be included in #5. What I believe would be the RC position is, IMO, compatible with the Registries and even IPR.

The primary, if not the only proponents of expanding the UDRP to IGOs and country names are speaking for GAC. I suggest that there would be much benefit of vetting the issue during #5 in the absence of GAC.

Then be prepare to rebut the WIPO II issue with GAC.

Of considerable consequence is the GAC intent to make the arbitration mandatory, not options for the GAC issues. There is strong opposition, several informed participants claim it would result in ICANN creating International law:-(

It should be noted that very few of the GAC delegation to the committee ever join the teleconferences. Mostly it is a WIPO representative that carries the water for GAC.

I should also state that there is to be a meeting of the WIPO II committee in Rome. GAC would like for it to be on the 29th, a Sunday. In the prior teleconference two weeks ago, 1 March was proposed. Accordingly, I bought my ticket to arrive at 11:25 on the 1st. I'm already staying *one* Saturday night.

This morning, there was grudging acceptance of 3:00 pm on 1 March, but it is not definite.

Your comments are solicited.

Regards, BobC